The art gallery is accommodated in the Prelacy Wing (north wing) of the monastery. In the baroque rooms numerous works from all of Exter's creative periods are on display.
Julius Exter (1863-1939) was an important pioneer of modern art in Munich at the end of the 19th century. He was a member of the Secession movement founded in 1892 and was known among fellow-artists as the "prince of colours".
The paintings of this avant-garde artist were sought after throughout Germany and were particularly popular in Switzerland. Exter gradually moved from historicism to the lively colours of expressionism. Through his experimentation with techniques and colours his work is close to that of the "Blauer Reiter" group of painters. In addition to figure compositions and portraits, landscapes and nudes form a large part of his work.
The following pictures shall give you an insight into the art gallery.
A farmhouse Julius Exter acquired in Übersee-Feldwies by the Chiemsee in 1902 became his home and also the location of his painting school, which was well-known throughout Europe.
Julius Exter's House is open to the public as a museum.